Hernandez misses start, may be out longer

Hernandez misses start, may be out longer

Hernandez misses start, may be out longer
CLEVELAND -- Roberto Hernandez's rocky season has sustained another setback.

The right-hander, who had to leave Monday's game with a sprained right ankle, was scratched from Saturday's start against Texas after the ankle acted up during a fielding drill for pitchers Friday. The Indians made the announcement following the 5-3 loss that Jeanmar Gomez would start in place of Hernandez.

Manager Manny Acta said Hernandez's foot is in a walking boot and that he will also miss at least his next turn through the rotation. The Indians thought Hernandez would be able to pitch Saturday after he didn't experience any problems in a bullpen session Wednesday. However, that plan was scuttled, as was the plan to get an extended look at Hernandez in the final six weeks. The Indians hold a $6 million option on the pitcher's contract for next season.

"Ideally, the best thing for him would be to make every one of his starts, so the front office could evaluate him and make the decision they have to make, but that's not going to happen now," Acta said. "We'll have to wait until he comes out of that boot and go from there."

Hernandez allowed three runs and four hits in 2 1/3 innings Monday against Oakland. He hurt the ankle backing up home plate after Yoenis Cesepdes' double. Hernandez threw two pitches to Seth Smith and called catcher Lou Marson to the mound. Acta went to the mound and removed Hernandez from the game.

Hernandez is 0-3 with a 7.53 ERA in three starts. He finally rejoined the Indians last month after being on the restricted list for age and identity fraud. Hernandez, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, was arrested in January in the Dominican Republic outside the United States embassy when he tried to renew his visa.

Hernandez worked out at the Indians' baseball academy in the Dominican. He was granted a visa in July and made four Minor League rehab starts before joining the Indians.