CLEVELAND -- The Indians announced on Tuesday that four more players -- all pitchers -- had been recalled from Triple-A Columbus, including former setup man Vinnie Pestano. Also, the team activated utility player Ryan Raburn from the 15-day disabled list.
Along with Pestano, the Tribe promoted Carlos Carrasco, C.C. Lee and Josh Tomlin from the Clippers. With the moves, Cleveland's expanded Major League roster consists of 36 players.
Pestano, who last season set the franchise's single-season record for holds with 36, began the season with the Indians but was demoted to Columbus at the end of July after posting a 4.05 ERA and 1.79 strikeout-to-walk ratio across 34 games.
Raburn had been on the 15-day disabled list retroactively since Aug. 19 because of a left Achilles strain. The veteran, who had also experienced right calf discomfort lately, is batting .272 with 15 homers and 41 RBIs through 70 games.
"He's not 100 percent," Indians manager Terry Francona said before Tuesday's game vs. the Orioles. "I want to watch him during BP. It'll be nice to get that bat back -- just, even sitting on the bench as a threat for when they bring a lefty in. But he ran the bases today. He ran pretty well."
Carrasco, whom the Indians view as a starter, last contributed to the team in a long-relief role. In his most recent stint with Cleveland, Carrasco allowed 13 hits and four runs during 14 2/3 innings in August.
In three July outings for the Indians, Lee tossed two scoreless innings, with three walks and one strikeout. Tomlin has spent much of the past year recovering from Tommy John surgery last August.
"He's never been a power pitcher, but he pounds the strike zone," Francona said of Tomlin, who went 5-8 with a 6.36 ERA in 21 appearances (16 starts) last year. "We'll try to help him, and hopefully in the process he helps us. But I think next year you'll see what he can really do."
Mark Emery is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.