Medical update on Nick Swisher
CLEVELAND, OH - The Cleveland Indians and Head Athletic Trainer James Quinlan today issued the following update on 1B/OF NICK SWISHER:
- Nick was evaluated by Dr. Neil ElAttrache in Los Angeles on Tuesday, August 19. Dr. ElAttrache confirmed that Nick is dealing with chronic medial knee discomfort in both knees as a result of medial meniscus wear and tear.
- He concurred with Dr. Rick Parker that surgical intervention is the most appropriate course of action.
- Arthroscopic Surgery on both knees is taking place this afternoon in Los Angeles and is being performed by Dr. ElAttrache.
- The scheduled surgery is an arthroscopic debridement in both knees as a result of wear and tear.
- Nick will begin the post-operative rehabilitation on Friday and Dr. ElAttrache is optimistic that Nick will make a full recovery in 8-10 weeks.
Swisher was placed on the 15-day Disabled List with knee soreness on August 10. He was also on the DL with similar discomfort from May 27-June 11. Prior to today's season-ending surgery, Nick hit .208 (75-360) in 2014 with 20 doubles, 8 home runs and 42 RBI in 97 games.